January 13, 2009 - Today we just went in for a routine appointment... no sonogram. Our doctor was out of town, so we were able to meet the other doctor in the practice. This was also the first time since 17 weeks that I haven't had to get my finger pricked to get my iron levels checked. We found out I was anemic at my 17 week appointment, and despite being on hefty iron supplements, my iron levels did not get above the normal level until 28 weeks.
The babies' heartbeats sounded good and I passed another Fetal Fibronectin (fFN) test. The fFN test is something I've been doing since 25 weeks. This test helps doctors predict if you have a reduced chance for premature labor. If the test comes back negative (which is good!), you have a less than 5% chance of going into labor in the next 2 weeks. However, if the test comes back positive, you have more of a 50/50 chance of going in to labor within the next 2 weeks and therefore have to follow much stricter orders. So far, all of my tests have been negative, and I hope they stay that way for the next couple of tests!
This week also marked by first full week of early maternity leave. I went in to finish up report cards and odds and ends on our teacher work day on January 5th, and have been off of work ever since. My doctor recommended stopping work around 28 weeks to get my feet up more often and take it easy to try and prevent labor that is too premature. It was so hard to leave my kids, but I know this is the best decision for me and the babies. I get worn out so easily these days, and being on my feet for long periods of time has really started to take its toll on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment