Sunday, November 21, 2010

Reflecting on Thanksgiving

Everyday for nearly the past 9 months of Sofie and Jackson's lives, I've been so grateful for the two most precious gifts in my life. Words cannot describe how lucky and blessed I feel to be Sofie and Jackson's mommy. They absolutely melt my heart every single day. I am so humbled by them. I'm not sure I've ever reflected more on how thankful I truly am for everything in my life than this Thanksgiving season - my first one as a parent.

After two years of struggling, I am thankful that I was finally able to get pregnant with Sofie and Jackson. I am thankful that I was able to carry them to 37 weeks. I am thankful that we avoided time in the NICU. I am thankful that we have encountered very few illnesses with them. I am thankful that they are developing appropriately and hitting all of their milestones on time. I am thankful that I am able to stay home with them. I am thankful that my babies have an awesome extended family of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I am thankful for the joy and happiness that they bring me every single day. I could go on and on and on... not to mention all the other things I am thankful for in my life that aren't even related to my kids.

Clearly, I have so much to be thankful for, but I am most thankful for my family's health. Whether it's a friend, a friend of a friend/family member, or something I hear on the news, it seems as if I hear of heartbreaking stories involving children and their families far too often. Maybe it's because Brian and I are at the age where most of our friends are having babies, or maybe it's because I have my own babies now, I'm not sure...but those stories seem to be everywhere. Each of them makes me more and more grateful for my own family's health.

As I write this blog post, my babies are still napping. Many days toward the end of nap time, I am hoping they'll stay asleep for just a bit longer so I can get as much done around the house as possible before they wake. Not today. I am thankful that I have two healthy, happy, sleeping babies that will soon wake up and want their mommy. I'm ready to go scoop them up out of their cribs and love on them.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. great post julie! we are very blessed aren't we? hope you guys have a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Julie. You do have a lot to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete