Thursday, August 12, 2010

5 Months Old

Last week Jackson and Sofie turned 5 months old. It’s been such a joy to watch them grow and change every day. The babies are really starting to interact with us and their personalities are blossoming. I feel SO fortunate to be able to stay home with them. This is the first August since before I was in school that I haven’t been gearing up for a school year, either as a student or as a teacher. It’s kind of a strange feeling, but a good one, too!

Enough about me… Here’s what’s going on right now at 5 months old:

-Jackson is sitting up on his own! He is such a strong little guy! He also scoots around in circles when he is on his tummy. I predict that we are going to have an early crawler on our hands!

-Both babies are now rolling over both ways. This also means that they both sleep on their tummy now. I tried to stop it by constantly returning them to their back after they’d fall asleep, but it was a battle I couldn’t win… they would be right back on their tummy within 30 seconds of me flipping them over.

-Sofie and Jackson love their jumparoo and exersaucer! We even caught Jackson falling asleep in his jumparoo the other day, but by the time I got my camera, he had snapped out of it.

-Sofie loves to make farting noises with her mouth (and make bubbles come out of her mouth at the same time).

-Both babies love to grab at anything in reach. Their most recent – they have discovered how to pull my hair!

-Jackson still spits up pretty often, but I think it's getting better than it used to be. As you can see, he still wears a bib just about all the time, except when he is sleeping!

-They LOVE it when we read them books. They get so excited when they see books come out! I think they love playing with the pages of the board books. When playing on their tummy there can be a pile of toys with a few books among them… they go straight for the books. So funny! Wow – I hope that habit lasts forever!

-We just recently started solid foods. Well, just rice cereal for now, but we plan on introducing greens and veggies soon. I am going to attempt to make my own baby food. I’ve got the baby food cooker, recipe books, and friends as resources… now I just need to get busy. I really didn’t think I would end up doing this because I do not think there is anything wrong with giving a baby jarred food. The main reason I am making my own food is for variety… this will allow me to give the babies fruits and veggies that they don’t sell in jars. And, several of my friends have assured me that once you get going with making and freezing your own food, it’s a cinch! I hope they’re right!

-SLEEP! This past month both babies have really taken off with their sleeping… they usually sleep about 11 hours straight at night! I keep thinking back to that first month where I was feeding them about every 3 hours round the clock and only sleeping for 1, maybe 2 if I was lucky, hours at a time. I thought the day would never come when I could get a solid chunk of sleep! Their napping varies… they usually take 2-3 naps during the day ranging anywhere between 1 to 2.5 hours.

Sofie's always rolling!

Jackson sitting up all by himself! Still wearing that bib, too!!

First attempt at a sippy cup... it was probably a little too early for that, but they were curious nonetheless!

Sofie and mommy reading

Gotch ya, Jackson!

Sofie rolled right off her mat!
....And caught some zzzzzzzzzzz's after wearing herself out!

 Sofie making farting noises with her mouth (see the bubbles coming out!?).

Little bunnies gnawing on their carrots (dr. suggested this for teething!).

Look who found her feet!

Jackson is laughing quite a bit lately!

1st feeding of rice cereal

More, please!

Sofie hasn't been quite as interested in eating as Jackson has.

They love to play!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures.So fun to see the babies changing. They are so cute. Jeannie

    ReplyDelete