Monday, September 24, 2012

Santa

The other day, the kids and I were finishing our breakfast and Jackson started telling me how he wants a Gordon that fits on his train tracks.  For those of you who don't know who "Gordon" is, he is one of the Thomas and Friends trains. We have plenty of trains, and it's a super special treat for Jackson to get a new train, so I told him that maybe he could ask Santa to bring him a Gordon train this year.  Trust me, I don't use the Santa card hardly at all, but it just kind of slipped out on this particular day and I went with it because the kids were all ears. Right after I said that, Jackson got down and started running around without being excused from the table. I told him that Santa is always watching to make sure he is a good boy. Oops. This really made him (and Sofie) think. He started looking around for Santa, and I knew that this conversation was going to continue, and that I was starting to dig a hole for myself!

Jackson: "Where's Santa, mommy?"

Me: "He's at the North Pole with Mrs. Claus."

Jackson: "Where's the North Pole, mommy?"

Me: "It's way up North where it's really cold and snowy, and it's really far away."

Jackson, looking around, puzzled, and still thinking Santa must be nearby since Santa can "see" him: "Look mommy, THAT'S Santa's house! He's over there!"

Well, of course it would make sense to a 2-year old that Santa must be in one of the only homes that they can see from our kitchen table. Jackson was pointing at a home across our lagoon. I tried to explain that Santa lives at the North Pole, but he can still see all the children. Of course, they didn't understand, but I was caught in the moment and didn't know what else to say. I know we will have many more moments like this as they get older! I tried to explain that Santa does not live in that house over there, but it didn't matter, Sofie and Jackson had already convinced themselves that Santa lives there.

Chatting about Santa over breakfast... Happy kids!




Here they are, pointing at the house and talking about Santa, even after breakfast was over:



One day, I hope I can provide them with a more mature explanation about the magic of Santa. Perhaps, something a bit like this... The Truth About Santa. My friend, Mary, shared this article... If you have little kids, it is worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment