Thursday, December 9, 2010

9 Month Check Up

Jackson and Sofie had their 9 month check up today. For the first time ever, I didn't have a bajillion questions to ask the doctor... I think she was rather surprised by this. Ha! We were at the doctor's office for close to two hours, and I was by myself with the babies in the stroller. I have to give them props... they did great and we didn't have any meltdowns, even with Jackson missing his afternoon nap. They got two shots today and neither one of them cried which amazes me. I don't think Sofie has cried during a shot since she was 3 months old, and Jackson just once or twice since then. Twins seem to be everywhere - there were 4 sets of them at our doctor's office just while we were there this afternoon!

Here are their stats... Both have dropped percentiles in weight and gained in height. Apparently this is perfectly normal once babies become mobile and more active (which is definitely us these days). As I've mentioned before, the charts are gender specific, so the benchmarks by which the percentiles are calculated are totally different for boys and girls which explains why both are in the 30th percentile for weight, yet Jackson weighs over a pound and a half more than Sofie.

Jackson:
Weight -19 pounds, 10 ounces (30th percentile)
Height - 29 inches (70th percentile)
Head Circumference - 45.25 cm. (40th percentile)

Sofie:
Weight - 17 pounds, 15.5 ounces (30th percentile)... okay let's just call it good at 18 pounds :)
Height - 28 inches (60th percentile)
Head Circumference - 45.5 cm (80th percentile)... I think we must have a big brain in there :)

Here's what the babies have been up to lately...

Both:
-Now have their own room! We separated them a few weeks ago because nap time was becoming such a struggle to get them to sleep and keep them to sleep. I think this is for the better.
-In to EVERYTHING! Just a few weeks ago I thought we'd be fine without baby gates. Um, scratch that. I am placing an order on Amazon tonight so I can turn our living room into Fort Knox! If you've been to our house, you know this requires 2 very wide gates.
-Napping twice a day. Generally, both are good nappers, especially now that they sleep in separate rooms. Jackson seems to be through his napping/sleeping funk (fingers crossed).
-Pull up on EVERYTHING!
-Say "nananana" quite a bit. They must be anticipating nana's arrival this weekend!
-LOVE cheerios.
-Are obsessed with their toothbrushes.
-Clap and sometimes wave.
-Still babbling a ton. They say "mamama" when tired or hungry.

Jackson:
-Starting to abandon the army crawl and has began the "real crawling." He is a speed demon!
-Cruising a little.
-Loves to eat.
-Loves to just sit there and take out every book in the basket and flip through the pages. So cute!
-Has a new obsession with the vacuum. He loves, loves, loves that thing.
-Likes looking for Boo.
-Favorite foods: avocado, pears, sweet potatoes, peas, bananas. The kid will eat pretty much anything! Doesn't seem to care for meat, but we're just starting that.
-Has his 3rd tooth about ready to pop through. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, though.

Sofie:
-Army crawls everywhere.
-Smiles, but closes her eyes/squints when strangers talk to her. It's so cute, but she hardly ever does it for Brian and I. The doctor and nurses today really got a kick out of it. The daycare people at our gym say she won't look at them unless she squints. I guess this is her new way of showing her shyness!
-Isn't as great of an eater as Jackson is, but she does have her faves: avocado, green beans, squash, peas, asparagus, cereal. Pretty much anything green she loves. She's not a huge fruit fan.
-Loves the dog.
-Is really starting to get the pincer grasp.
-Likes to follow her brother around. She's Jackson's little shadow.
-Is going through the biggest night time sleep funk EVER! For a kid that has been so consistent with sleeping through the night for the longest time, she is really not sleeping well at night. I even took her to urgent care yesterday to have her ears checked after the night we had. The little booger checked out just fine. Doctor thinks it's probably teething or developmental. I think it has something to do with the fact that she's just started standing in her crib (developmental). When she wakes in the night, she's immediately standing up and crying. Jackson went through this and got over it, too, so I'm hoping this passes quickly because I am one tired mama this week.


Here's Sofie, standing of course:

Jackson examining the vacuum... one of his favorite activities. Sofie is always close behind.






Like I said, they love their toothbrushes! I wonder if they will cry when I take them away from them at age 10 like they do now??


Sofie on a mission to get to her piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment